LAUNCHED DURING THE UN CLIMATE SUMMIT IN NOVEMBER 2021, THE ENVIRONMENTAL MUSIC PRIZE IS A CALL-TO-ACTION FOR ARTISTS TO USE THEIR VOICE BOTH ON AND OFF STAGE.
Recognise and reward artists who create exceptional music videos that celebrate the beauty of nature and our connection to it.
In Year 1, we invited Australian citizens and residents to apply (Nov 2021 – Feb 2022) if they had released an original work in the last 5 years that:
- Referenced nature or an environmental issue in its lyrics, or in the visual content of its music video.
- Inspires us to protect the environment with a message of hope or a call-to-action, or highlights the urgency of action.
SHORTLISTING COMMITTEE SELECTING THE FINALISTS
Montaigne – Award-winning Singer Songwriter who was Australia’s 2021 Eurovision candidate and who wrote the climate anthem ‘READY’.
Heidi Lenffer – Singer Songwriter of Cloud Control, Founder of FEAT (Future Energy Artists) and Solar Slice, Recipient 2019 Triple J ‘You Done Good’ Award and SMAC of the YEAR
Anna Lunoe – DJ, Producer, Vocalist and Apple Music Radio Host
Fergus Clarkson – Australian Poetry Slam 2019 ‘Youth Champion’ and rapper on Montaigne’s ‘READY’
MUSIC + ENVIRONMENT IMPACT PARTNERS:
Claire Mooney – Assistant Music Director, Triple J
Tim Shiel – Presenter, Double J
Edwina Floch – Founder, Environmental Music Prize
Berish Bilander – CEO, Green Music Australia
Milly Petriella – Director Member Relations, APRA AMCOS
Matthew Lymbury – Head of Music and Content, NIGHTLIFE MUSIC
David Ritter – CEO, Greenpeace Australia Paci!ic
Dr Romola Stewart – Head of Evaluation and Science, World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
Alex Fuller – National Director, Australian Youth Climate Coalition (AYCC)
Tim Silverwood – Co-Founder, Ocean Impact Organisation
Heidi Fin – Social Media Producer, The Wilderness Society
Clare Herschell – Co-Founder, Groundswell Giving
Cat Nadel – National Director, Tomorrow Movement
Doha Kahn – School Strike 4 Climate & Fridays For Future Youth Activist, Political Candidate, Med Student
JoJo Ferris – Head of the Olympic Refuge Foundation & Director, Ferris Family Foundation
November 3 2021 // Entries opened during the UN Climate Summit
February 18 2022 // Entries closed
- 205 songs were submitted. They reflected the rich diversity of musical styles, Australia’s rich multicultural society and the fact that we are all deeply connected to the natural world.
February-April 2022 // Shortlisting + Impact Partnerships + Climate Leadership Training
- A Shortlisting Committee composed of Music Ambassadors, Environmental Leaders and Impact Partners selected the Finalists.
- We strengthened relationships with the environmental movement and invited leading organisations to take part in the selection process and song amplification.
- In partnership with Green Music Australia, FEAT (Future Energy Artists), Australian Progress, Greenpeace, Australian Youth Climate Coalition, Lime Cordiale and Lisa Mitchell, we organised a workshop to inform, inspire and empower high-profile artists interested in using their voice.
April 22 2022 // Public Voting Open on Earth Day
- The public will be invited to vote on songs that touch, excite and inspire them most.
May 22 2022 // Public voting closes
May 25 2022 // The ‘People Choice’ is awarded $AU 20,000 in prize money
June – December 2022 // Post-Award Amplification
- Through media, concerts, thought-leadership events and impact partner campaigns
2022-2023 // Environmental Music Prize opens to international entrants
- If you’re a talented international artist or potential partner, please sign up for updates to keep informed about the global rollout.
WHY SHOULD TALENTED ARTISTS APPLY?
This is is more than a prize, it’s an ecosystem.
The Network Effect
By acting together, we are stronger than when we act alone.
One Voice for Climate and Conservation
We’ll share a common message around the need to reconnect with nature and value the environment. Most participating artists are also signing Green Music Australia’s Climate Declaration to ensure coordinated messaging and impact.
Exposure to New Audiences for Your Song and Your Story
Our Media and Impact Partners will be sharing the Shortlisted Songs inviting their audiences to vote and sharing the stories and the artists behind these environmentally engaging masterpieces in their newsletters, social media and across platforms. (Greenpeace alone has an audience of 1.2 million people in Australia)
Shining Light on Emerging Talent
Some incredible artists have already applied and their participation will bring recognition to other deserving talents who are creating music that matters.
PLEASE SIGNUP FOR UPDATES AND FOLLOW ON SOCIALS TO DISCOVER INSPIRING SONGS AND STORIES.
AND TO FOLLOW OUR STORY.